Sunday, January 11, 2009

Fellowship

I'm absolutely stoked that Caleb got this thing rollin'. I think this can be a good tool to bring believers together in growth through one anothers thoughts, ideas, and experiences. I understand fellowship via internet may not provide the best "delivery" but it certainly can be utilized in praying for one another and like Caleb said, sharing God's work in our lives.

One thing I have realized in the last 6 years is that fellowship is an essential tool and a vital ingredient to Christianity. My term with the military and even prior to that I had deprived myself of any type of fellowship and by doing so I hindered spiritual growth and maturing in my faith. Not having fellowship for that amount of time would prove to be a detriment in my life.
I believe being in a men's/women's group is a great way to fellowship. Fellowship is not just a social gathering where everyone reads different parts of the bible and then proceeds to talk about how everyone thought about the playoffs last week. Fellowship is a more in depth way of exercising our role as believers in edifying fellow Christians. Studying the Word as a group and dissecting and receiving it together is so important to your walk with Christ.

Also your prayer life will skyrocket. Sharing your needs and desires and possibly struggles will open the door for multiple men to pray over you. James 5 mentions that the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. There is nothing more that motivates me in my walk than when I have several Godly people praying for me and you for them. I'm convinced that no believer can live this life on their own and that any spiritual growth demands a group study, intercession, and accountability. A bible study is valued, but few recognize the importance of accountability.

Accountability is another key ingredient to a healthy relationship with Christ, so I have found. Having a Godly individual who I know very well keeping me in check on a personal level, outside of a bible study or men's group, has certainly changed me for the better. My dad who I know is a firm and mature believer mentioned to me the other day, " I will never not be in a men's group, you NEED fellowship," and he is absolutely right. Paul states in his letter to the Romans "I want to impart to you some spiritual gift that you and I may be mutually encouraged by eachother's faith." I couldn't have said it better myself.

I have been in a bible study for almost a year now and am finding believers like myself in need of edification. Seeing God work in my life and in anyone's requires fellowship and without it would plateau our growth in the Lord, and I'm ecstatic about God working in my life and my friends.

1 comment:

  1. So true bud. It is imperative to our growth to be surrounded by other believers. We can not succeed without it.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave uplifting and encouraging words!!