Sunday, January 11, 2009

God's Work is Everywhere

Let's review the events of this past week shall we? Governor Blagojevich was officially impeached (yay!) but vows to waste millions of taxpayers dollars in "fighting to the bitter end" (boo!), Hamas is still launching rockets in to Gaza(boo!), Somali pirates make off with 3 million dollars of ransom money(boo!) , while 5 got their just desserts(yay!), the Panthers probably just performed one of the biggest choke jobs in the history of the NFL (seriously, I think the Lions could've beat them last night), the Gators racked up another championship (I want to vomit), and my girl Anne is flaming with the rest of Hollywood now too(boo!). It seems the boo's would outweigh the yay's this week, but despite all this it has been an amazing week. You see this week I learned that God is at work all around us, and I can prove it.

See this week I've been praying that God would open my eyes to what he is doing around me, and the results have been incredible. I've seen people come to Christ this week. I've seen countless opportunities to witness to friends and co-workers. I've seen the most beautiful 65 degree days in the middle of January. I've been watching the most amazing things on Discovery Channel's "Planet Earth" (seriously you should watch it if you get the opportunity. I don't know how anybody could deny God's existence after watching that.) I've just seen God everywhere I go and in everything I do.

The point is that God is always at work around us, whether we see it or not. God did not create the world and then leave everything else to chance. God is working hard to draw the population to himself, and he chooses to do it through us, his chosen, plain, ordinary people! His will is going to be accomplished whether we choose to obey him or not, but the consequences for not following him are dire, just as the rewards for following in his footsteps are eternal. Can you even begin to fathom that? When you look at it that way, I don't know how anybody could choose to disobey God. Following God is not just about keeping his commandments. It's about obeying his Spirit. The very same Spirit that lives in every believer and steers us in the right direction.

As God is accomplishing his will, he invites us to join him. It is imperative that we join him in his works, and not the other way around. Inviting God to join us in doing what we think is "for the kingdom" is fruitless. He will accomplish more in a day, than we can in years. It is imperative that we listen to the Spirit and learn how to do so effectively. We must never rule out the possibility that he may ask us to do things that are uncomfortable, and in fact, we should probably expect it. This is how God forces us to rely on him, and makes us stronger. With the Spirit in us, we have all the resources that Christ had on this Earth. So if it doesn't feel comfortable, than there may be a good chance that is God speaking to you. Don't ignore it!

I highly encourage everyone to pray that God will open your eyes to the work that he is doing around you. You will be stunned at what you were missing. The other way I know God is at work this week, is that just 2 weeks ago I wasn't praying regularly, studying my Bible, or living in accordance with his word. There has been a dramatic change in my life in the past week. God has become my number one priority in every facet of my life, not just at my convenience. If God can change a sinner like me, you know he is at work in people's lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave uplifting and encouraging words!!