Friday, March 6, 2009

Hooray for Persecution!

So I admit it's been a while since I've posted. Partially due to being on travel a lot lately, and partially due to the fact that well...I just did not have anything to share. But now I do!

For the first time in my life yesterday, I was berated for being a Christian. Completely out of the blue nonetheless. I mean sure, I've had discussions with others about my faith. And sure, people probably have thought that I'm an idiot afterward. If you know me, it's kind of hard not to think that anyways, am I right? Right? High five? Anyone? This wasn't one of those times though. Allow me to explain:

A former acquaintance of mine "friended" me on Facebook. For those of you familiar with Facebook there is a informational section at the top where you can disclose whatever information you want. One of those categories is religion. Instead of putting the typical "Christian/Protestant" or whatever it is that most people put, I want people to know that I have a "100% very real and practical relationship with Jesus Christ". So that is what it reads on my Facebook profile. The funny thing is you have to actually search for that to see it because of the websites layout (bear this in mind). This former acquaintance and I haven't spoken to each other in probably 7 years. Literally not so much as a word, phone call, text, email, or even a wall post. I know this guy ironically enough through my old church. Here is where it would be fun to drop names and start blasting him. That is what the internet is for right? But come on, this isn't perezhilton.com. We don't do that here.

Without reposting things that were on my Facebook wall and to make a long story short, he proceeded to "lambast" me (though I haven't quite figured out how you can do that via Facebook), ridicule my faith in Jesus (which is fine because he doesn't have to answer to me, he has to answer to God), and call me names like "blythe" and "disingenuous" and "repulsive". Luckily for this simpleton, I know how to access dictionary.com! But in his defense, I did tell him I was going to pray for him. Zing! I didn't force my beliefs on him. He had to actively look for it.

I think it's important to note that I have absolutely no ill will towards this guy whatsoever. The whole thing is actually quite sad, and my heart truly does ache for him. See I believe that he's still a believer, no matter how much he wants to turn his back on the Lord, and as a wise man told me last night (and I know to be true from experience) "It's tough living under the constant conviction of the Holy Spirit". For whatever reasons, there is a lot of pain, anger, and bitterness in his life, but that's not what I want to talk about.

The important thing is, I realized that this is the closest I've come to "persecution" in my brief lifetime. WOOOHOOO!!!! I put persecution in quotes because come on, really? Facebook persecution??

See, unlike most sane people, I want to be persecuted for my faith. It means your doing something right. What a privilege it is to suffer for your faith. Most of us here in America will never truly know what persecution is, but make no mistake the Bible says that we will be persecuted.

In fact, all those who want to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.
2 Tim 3:12

How sweet is that? Don't get me wrong folks, I don't really want to deal with the whole torture aspect. That certainly wouldn't be fun. But how temporary is our suffering compared to the eternal reward we would receive upon acceptance to heaven?? And how great an opportunity to show and prove to the world that you are legit, and to really just spit in the devil's face!!!!

But before all these things, they will lay their hands on you and persecute you. They will hand you over to the synagogues and prisons, and you will be brought before kings and governors because of My name. It will lead to an opportunity for you to witness. Therefore make up your minds not to prepare your defnese ahead of time, for I will give you such words and a wisdom that none of your adversaries will be able to resist or contradict. You will even be betrayed by parents, brothers, relatives, adn friends. They will kill some of you. You will be hated by everyone because of My name, but not a hair of your head will be lost. By your endurance gain your lives. (ed. note - The last sentence refers to spiritual lives, not our physical ones.)
Luke 21:12-19
Awesome!! God not only says you stand a good chance of being persecuted, but then he tells you not to worry about what you're going to say, because he is going to give you the words to say! This reminds me of all the trials and tribulations Christ had to experience before the ultimate persecution. He always knew exactly what to say to further Gods' kingdom. That (arguably) wasn't his own doing, that was God!! I just can't imagine any greater privilege than getting to heaven, and the reason you are there, is because you died for your cause. It's like entering heaven with a blaze of glory. If I never heard 7 words again for the rest of my life, both here on earth and eternally, I want them to be "Well done, my good and faithful servant".

Now I certainly don't wish pain and suffering on anyone. But as believers if you are experiencing this in any shape or form, don't get down on yourself. Rejoice and praise God!

Instead, as you share in the sufferings of the Messiah rejoice, so that you may also rejoice with great joy at the revelation of His glory. If you are ridiculed for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.
1 Peter 4:13
What an honor to be considered among those who have been persecuted. Jesus Christ, David, Jeremiah, Daniel, Joseph, Paul, and the Disciples just to name a few. I imagine the welcome reception in heaven far exceeds any pain or suffering we may endure here on this temporary plain, and when I get there I'm going to turn around and give Tim Tebow a high five.

1 comment:

Please feel free to leave uplifting and encouraging words!!